Our International Partner: Canada

We pride ourselves on building strong working relationships globally with reputable firms that we can engage and collaborate with on behalf of our clients, thus increasing our success rate in cases abroad. We handle all aspects of a case from correspondence to logistics.


Laura Hillyer

Associate Partner

Martin & Hillyer Associates

Moloney & Co. are delighted to announce that our new Canadian international personal injury affiliates are Martin & Hillyer Associates, based in Burlington, Ontario.

Martin & Hillyer Associates has over forty-five years of experience in helping people recover compensation after being injured by the negligence of others. In addition to handling car accident and medical malpractice cases, the firm also acts for clients injured in slips, trips or falls on public or private property, and, work and public place accidents.

For further information, please email us or request a call back using the form below.

Dublin Office:
Naas Office:

Canadian law governing Personal Injury

The Personal Injury system in Canada

In Canada, the law that applies to most personal injury cases is determined by province or territory.  The origins of Canadian law derive from the British common law system in the case of all provinces except for Quebec, which has a civil code system.  For the most part, the legal principles that apply to determine fault, as well as an injury victim’s ability to recover damages, are similar to those throughout the British commonwealth.

What time limits apply for making Personal Injury claims in Canada?

There is not one Canadian limitation period for personal injury claims. The time limits differ by province and so an injury victim must get legal advice immediately about the applicable limitation period to ensure the claim is started in time.

In some types of injury claims, there are also notice periods which must be met. For example, in cases involving an Ontario municipality (i.e. city, town, etc.), the municipality must be advised of a potential claim within ten days of an injury incident pursuant to Section 44 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25.  This means that if you are hurt on a city pavement, the city must be put on notice within ten days or the claim may not be able to proceed.